Historical Background (Migration History)

In “Relaciones de las Yslas Filipinas”, annals of history written by Miguel Lopez de Legaspi, it was mentioned by Miguel de Loarca, an encomiendero, that the barrios of Cavite were named while their galleon ships embarked on the coastal villages. These towns are Vacol (now known as Bacoor), Minakaya (now called Binakayan) and Maragondon, all near Manila Bay.

The named Bacood (derived from the Tagalog word bakod, meaning fence) is suggestive of its role as suburb of Parañaque (known before as Palanyag) constituting the boundary between the mother of Cavite del Viejo (now known as Kawit) and Silang. In early times during the Spanish regime, Bacood was thickly covered with bamboo groves running from Zapote to sitio Talaba. The term “Bakood’ also refers to those who lived in the place who were called such by the early Tagalog settlers. According to “Historia, Geografica, Geologica y Estadistica de Filipinas”, Bacoor was founded in 1671 with a population of 10,165. Migration from Palanyag (Parañaque) to Bacoor started in 1669, the period wherein illustrado families like the Cuenca, Bauan, Farolan, Pagtakhan, De Ocampo, Gregorio and Guevarra established residency in Bacoor.

Bacooreños in the 16th century lived not only in the coastal areas but also in lands devoted to agriculture. In the 18th century, Bacoor is a typical town with a parish priest and a governor under the diocese of Imus. Bacoor is found along Manila Bay with a very refreshing cool weather coming from nearby Bacoor Bay. About 2,068 houses made of tiles and wood existed with a parochial house, a trial court, and a primary school.

Significant contributions of Bacoor to Philippine Independence was the Battle of Zapote Bridge in February 15, 1897 that witnessed the bravery and heroism of General Edilberto Evangelista, “the Engineer of the Revolution” and “Hero of Zapote Bridge”, awakened nationalism among Filipinos. On July 04, 1898, Bacoor became the main headquarters and capital of the Revolutionary government. The residence of Juan Cuevas and Candida Chavez in Digman was the first Malacañang of the Republic of the Philippines.